What I ACTUALLY Use in College


I was one of "them." I had the Pinterest board. I started planning months in advance. I color coordinated. I researched for hours on end. I made about 7 trips to Bed, Bath, & Beyond...and that was just the week before I had to move. I spent hundreds, yes literal hundred of dollars. I got suckered into the college dorm room game. I overthought everything and believed I needed to buy all the little nick nacks and doohickeys that I had space for. After all, why just have a surge protector when you can buy one that can also be transformed into a broom and tell the time and make you coffee?

Having lived in my college dorm room for a while, I can tell you that the majority of things I bought are utter bullsh-----its just rubbish okay? Don't fall prey to the pretty websites, the pinterest boards, and the overpriced sale items. You DO NOT need the diamond encrusted desk lamp with bluetooth capabilities. I can't speak for everyone, but as "that girl" who overshopped for dorm room items, I'll tell you a few interesting things that I bought that I ACTUALLY use and that have made my life 20x more beautiful in no particular order.

1. Lysol Wipes - Colds and flus spread like the plague in dorms. There is no price on the peace of mind you get wiping down that door handle and knowing you have killed 99.9% of the germs on that surface. Not only that, but they are great for general cleaning too. Things get dusty fast so instead of waiting later to do a huge clean up job, I just wipe things off with a Lysol wipe when needed and stay stress free.

2. Air Freshener and Scented Products - I live in a double room and although we are both two very clean people, there is no avoiding smells from developing. Whether they are from food or stinky shoes its always good to have some type of product that is helping you fight the strange smells that may arise in your room. We like to air our room out occasionally by opening windows but we also have little Glade plugins, reed diffusers, and odor neutralizing products. We are constantly getting compliments for how good our room smells which is something I really love.

3. Paper Towels - I lazily threw a fresh roll of paper towels in the car on the day I moved and never did I expect them to come so in handy. They are great for wiping up little spills or just quickly drying off dishes. I have found myself using them through out the day for more things than I expected.

4. Sturdy Water Bottle - There is no fridge with filtered water and ice like there was at home. Having a nice water bottle to store some water in for night time or even on the go is so necessary. Invest a bit in something that will last a while. The same goes with a nice tea of coffee cup for on the go consumption. You will thank me later.

5. Back Rest Pillow - YOU NEED THIS. Trust me you do. I always find myself using my laptop in bed and having a cute comfy pillow to support my back is worth so much more than the $14.99 I spent.

6. Good Organization Tools - By organization tools I mean things like a hanging jewelry organizer, a belt organizer, a scarf organizer, a makeup organizer, etc. It makes life so much more beautiful when you save time getting ready because you can see and have access to all the items you use the most. These products will also save you a great deal of space. This is one of the dorm room hype objects that I whole heartedly endorse!

7. Planner - Organization is everything and I have found that a planner is the best way for me to remember everything. I'll have another post on my organizational planner soon.

8. Laptop Sleeve - You take your laptop everywhere and spent half of your life savings to buy it. Do yourself a favor and protect it! These can be purchases super cheap on Amazon so no excuses.

9. Shower Slippers - Community showers are disgusting. Flip flops are not optional, like at all.

10. Small Coffee Maker - This little mechanical blessing cost me no more than $25 at Walmart and has been used nearly every day that I have been here. I am constantly using it to make tea but it also has the capability to make coffee and use K Cups. I love it so much.

I hope you enjoyed my personal list. Let me know what some of your must have items are.
-Kel


0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Instagram

Meet The Author

My name is Kelechi, call me Kel. I am a university division 1 student athlete, avid fashionista, beauty lover, and life learner. I started this blog as a creative outlet.